Monday 14 January 2013

Animation Website RIP

Scroll down for animations! To zoom in, press Control and + (Windows) or Cmd and + (Mac).

Up until recently I owned the domain, carbonscale.com, on which I hosted a website that I designed and created after completing my degree in animation. It was intended to work as an online portfolio for my animation related output as I searched for employment within the industry.

Around about the same time I ended up needing more surgeries on my lungs and so those plans got pushed back and back. I kept the website though as I quite liked it and was pleased with its functionality for the most part (- the buttons and layout and look; yes. The blog section and how long it took to upload new content; not so much).

I was also secretly convinced that at any point I'd get offered big bucks by some multinational energy company for the domain name, given how everyone was bleating on about carbon footprints and insisting everyone keep track of how much they were contributing to the death of the planet back then.
It turned out no one knew what a Carbon Scale was, or had any intention of making one (whatever it was) and that no one really cared that much about the planet anyway...

So, after years of thinking "I should probably cancel my subscription... I'll do it first thing tomorrow!", then forgetting, I've finally got round to doing so. As such, carbonscale.com is no more (at the time of writing, in its initial guise as a Flash animation website anyway). Although wouldn't it be typical if someone finally invented a Carbon Scale (whatever that is) and suddenly the entire world decided that, actually, they did care, and that that particular domain was obviously the most sensible place to look for advice, and it created billions in advertising revenue and a paradigm shift in people's attitudes towards the environment, tssk. I KNEW THIS WOULD HAPPEN. I mean, it hasn't, but it's blatantly going to, sigh.

I thought it would be a shame not to preserve the website online somehow, so in the interests of posterity I've managed to embed it below. There is some distortion due to the dimension constraints of this page.

The showreel that would normally have been embedded in the showreel section within the website is now embedded further down this post should anyone wish to give it a watch.

I've barely done any proper animation since university, but I'm certain I'll return to it one day and create some funnies, if only for my own amusement.
I think Burt the flatulent cat burglar with tourrettes definitely has legs. Even if they are broken.

*Be sure to refresh this page so as to see the little introductory animation*


No comments: