Thursday 30 April 2009

"Lions"


A friend of mine wrote a poem once, entitled "Lions". The poem went as follows:

"...
...
...
...... Lions!
...
...
... "

The pause and delivery were integral to the poem's success. Obviously it was better in real life than it is on paper, but to this day it remains the only poem I can recite off by heart. And that, I think, speaks volumes.

It was with this poem in mind acting as a vast well of unending inspiration, that I began my latest painting.

That last sentence is not true. I painted a lion cos I like lions and thought it would be a fun subject. I've only just remembered the "...Lions" incident as I write this.

The painting in its state above is probably about 95% complete. There are a few little bits and bobs I want to tidy up, but as always with painting this could go on indefinitely. The painting is acrylic on canvas, approximately 12 by 9 inches in size. I like the mixture of fine details with broader brush strokes and blocks of colour.

No comments: